Tuesday 25 June 2013

When Rama killed Ravana

During my childhood days I had a friend named Manu. Manu was an average student and he sucked big time in English grammar. At those times my mom used to think of herself as the author of Wren and Martin grammar book, so whenever my friends came to my house she will start asking questions on grammar. And one fine day Manu wanted to really learn English grammar from my mom. So after school hours he will go to his house, nicely dress and will come back to my house. My mom was delighted to have a new student that day and even though she was making poori masala she left it halfway and came to teach Manu.

Day 1
My mom : Ok Manu, lets start with active to passive voice.
Manu: Ok aunty
My mom: Most sentences will have a subject, a verb and an object Manu. In active voice the pattern remains the same and in passive voice the subject becomes the object and the object becomes the subject.
Manu: Ok aunty (oh my god, what is that smell which is poking my appetite)
My mom: Lets see an example, Shall we
Manu: Ok aunty (Is it poori masala)
My mom: Look at this example…Rama killed Ravana , which is the subject and which is the object ?
Manu: errr , aunty I think I am hungry… shall I go home, have something and come back?
My mom: No need to go home beta, aunty have made poori masala lets eat and may be we will continue the lessons tomorrow.

Day 2
My mom: “Rama killed Ravana” this is active voice Manu and the passive voice for this sentence is “Ravana was killed by Rama”. Now look at this, how will you change “Rama is going to kill Ravana” ?
Manu: Rama is waiting to kill Ravana ?
My mom: Remember Manu in passive voice the subject becomes the object and the object becomes the subject… here Rama is the subject and Ravana is the object..
Manu: ok, Ravana is being killed by Rama ?
My mom: No manu wrong, look at the sentence carefully and answer, the sentence is “Rama is going to kill Ravana”
Manu: errrrr, “Ravana is going to kill Rama ” ?
My mom: Oh my god, You should not change the meaning of the sentence Manu
Manu: Sorry aunty, ahh, err, hmm , “Rama is going somewhere to kill Ravana?”
My mom: Today’s tiffin is dosa, lets have it.
Manu: yaaayyyyy !


There was no day 3 or day 4. The lessons stopped and Manu is always weak in grammar. So when Rama killed Ravana, Rama killed Ravana and Ravana was killed by Rama. And if there are grammatical mistakes here, believe me even I hate grammar.

6 comments:

  1. A cool funny story ...liked it.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha !! active passive !! i swear Grammar of any language is one heck of a job to learn :D
    Better Ravana waits to be killed by Rama :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ayyo Ravana !!! Sorry, Rama !!! Good post Kalyan :) Loved it.... Visit my blog whenever u r free & don't forget to comment on it.... I too suffer from the same fate as urs..... Nobody likes to read it :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.aswinscorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete